EVALUATION:
My planning and research I believe greatly helped me in
terms of achieving the pieces that I created. After researching one specific photographer
and the different styles of work he possess, I took various styles and
experimented them with my own style. I created 5 different designs mainly based
on portraits to be featured in art magazine called ARTnews. This entire unit
gave me the opportunity to produce creative photographic images (based on art) while
experimenting with equipment and techniques. Pre-production was a vital part of
the whole process. Creating both a mood board and mind map helped me make a
decision on which idea would target a specific audience a lot easier because it
allow me to state all ideas all together. Being an artist myself, I was able to
ask the question "Would this feature appeal to me as an artist?"
Each portrait portrays a different image and message, while
they may seem complex at times, the fact is that they are the opposite (whilst
still being creative), which fits perfectly with the style of the magazine. The
first image I chose to edit was really simple and plain, I thought this would
allow me to develop a quick and easy idea based on my own artistic styles. However,
the outcome wasn’t the one I initially wanted, the proportions lacked accuracy,
which therefore led to misconceptions; the scribbles and lines were drawn on
very unevenly. The dark colour of the lines against the saturation of the skin
tone made the final concept stand out and look richer in both colour and value.
The complex patterns across half the face added so much texture to the composition.
But the accuracy made the choice very simple in the end. I decided to include
another two pieces to the series with my style imbedded however, in order to show
the versatility my artistic skills, I decided to use colour along with patterns.
With the addition of colour and patterns the image has transformed, evidently
making it feel creative and fit for the art life and magazine, due to the
uniqueness and style in general. Presenting the images as versatile in this way
will make them more appealing to the target audience since they would be fit
for multiple different occasions and provide for a wider range of needs that
the audience may have, this may apply in terms of inspiration for upcoming
artists.
For these designs I used Photoshop to edit them depending on
which style I was designing. For example the patterns. For the patterns I used
some simple lining tools for the shaping of the base, essentially adding some
more interesting texture to the composition due to the enhanced colour
correction. There were slight pixels on the images so I tried to make the photo
more interesting by adding the design varying the levels of the image in
general. I think it was quite effective in making the composition more
interesting because where there were once pixels are now patterns; this will allow
the image to catch the audience’s attention through pure visuals.
The planning and development greatly supported me in coming
up with my final concepts. Initially, I was planning to have the image with
plain scribbles and patterns. However, as time went by and I did more research
on Sebastien Del Grosso and soon realised that the idea was quite blank in
comparison; there was no story within the concept. I decided to further develop
and experiment with the materials and resources in hopes of seeing a storyline.
My experimentations included colouring, remapping, colour corrections, and using
all my styles on the same chosen image. By accomplishing this step, I was also
able to make a judgment of what does not look visually appealing and what
doesn’t fit the magazine’s style (my styles).
The final pieces fit perfectly with the magazine’s style and
would definitely appeal to the magazine’s audience. ARTnews is an art based
magazine and the audience this magazine is for people who are generally
interested in art and photography, the target audience for the magazine isn’t
precise because it varies depending on the content produced within that time. I
decided to aim my work towards people aged 12-20 because I feel at these
certain ages people find the curiosity to fulfil their hobbies/talent; I believe
that my work can provide inspiration and motivation due to the visuals, as they
present an artwork in progress. I think they would appreciate the minimalist
style of the photographs and the way their layout because the product will
speak for itself to them.
Once I had completed and published my work onto my blog, I received
helpful feedback from my peers. This enabled me to get other opinions on my
final photographs and make comparisons between my own work and other
photographers. All students that commented gave positives and negatives but the
majority were positive. All of the negatives commented on two of the photos
from the styles ‘scribble and patterns’. One student said "The only thing I would change is the proportions of the scribbles
because compared to the original, they do not correspond". I took this
feedback on board and after some consideration agreed that changing the
proportions would have been a good alternative. Another comment was "The only downside to your work are
the images with your style, they are not as appealing as your final images. I
would suggest you spread out and try combining styles".
If I had the opportunity, I would definitely experiment with
different styles and images to see what I would be able to create with the
combinations which I craft. I would definitely do research on more artists and
photographers because, although the unique selling point of my photos were the visuals
and story, I felt with more research I would have had more variety in terms of
combining styles. If I experimented on more models the audience will be able to
see how the style can change depending on the person. In the post-production, I
could have made sure that the magazine included more information on the page
along with slightly less visuals (as they became a bit overwhelming).
The entire production process was perfectly planned. The
preparation, mood boards and mind maps were extremely effective in helping me
to decide how I wanted my final photographs to look. It enabled me to produce a
high quality and professional looking final product.
No comments:
Post a Comment